February 6, 2009

Eye Opener: Ecological Footprint


For the ecological footprint assignment, the first test that I did was a Ecological Footprint Calculator. I found out that if everyone lived like me, we would need THREE planet earths to support each individual. That was somewhat surprising to me because I try to do my best recycling, turning lights off when possible, taking short showers and driving with others when possible. When exploring my answers, I found that if I were able to take the bus more often, use newer appliances and buy products with recycled products, the energy level I use would be greatly reduced!

The second test that I took was the Travel Calculator. This test calculates how much gas you use when going on with your daily routine, traveling to sporting events as well as long distance holiday trips. After putting in all my information, I found that my gas use and pollution emission is greater than most people's. I am assuming that this is because of the trips that I take. The closest family members that I have is two hours away, so when going up north to visit family, home or with my boyfriend to visit his family, we're driving at least two hours minimum, one way. Not only do I do a lot of traveling to visit family, but I play on the club Ultimate Frisbee team and all the traveling we do for tournament is by bus or car.

The last quiz that I did was another Ecological Footprint Quiz which was more comprehensive then the first. It was more specific in questions and took a little longer. On this quiz, my footprint was 151.72 which is much lower than our country's average. That surprised me a lot and I made me pretty happy! :)

5 comments:

  1. 3 is the lowes I've seen on anybody's ecological footprint calculator assignments so far! Sounds like you are doing some good things and have found some things to work on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you were surprised (and possibly disappointed?) with some of your results, but I think they were much lower than a lot of ours! Good job, and keep up your "green" habits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the Travel calculator was very interesting! It is amazing how much time we spend traveling in one year. Altough we should limit our trips, I feel like they would be hard to give up completely....it is fun to "see the world," and we all need to "get away" sometimes, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Compared to me you had much better results on the Ecological Footprint quiz. It seems like you do a lot to help out the Environment and its amazing when you realize just how much more each indiviual can contribute to help out. Good job on what you are currently doing to help out the earth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did have a higher emmissions score then me but, way less in other areas so I think you balenced out ok. Good post.

    ReplyDelete