March 8, 2009

Review of Reading 31: Privatizing Water



On April 8, 2000 a riot broke out in a city called Cochabamba located in Bolivia. The riot had killed one 17 year old boy while hundreds of other protesters were injured. What was the riot over? Privatization of the countries water. The World Bank had threaten to withhold $600 million in the countries debt relief if they did not privatize their water. Because the privatization of water had not happened, water bills in the average house hold rose 35% per month. Protesters were able to declare victory. The city ended up privatizing their water, resulting in an end to the riot.


In 1992, when world leaders at the Rio earth Summit recognized water as an "economic good", they were mainly acknowledging the failure of their government to provide clean drinking water to over 1.1 billion people. The government saw this as an opportunity to collect profits, even though water should be considered a human right
.


Currently, there are 36 countries (which are all in Africa, Asia or the middle east) that do not have a large enough water supply to meet the needs for industrial, municipal, and food production purposes. By the year 2015, seven more countries will join these rankings. See something wrong here?


In the United States, we have been rather slow in privatizing our water systems and if we were to privatize more of our water, our country would have the chance to attract the" private capital and expertise needed to build and expand expensive water system, and help connect the millions who currently make do without piped water". Could you imagine NOT drinking water from a pipe, and pulling it up from the ground yourself, from a well or some other way?! Small and poor communities are continuously drinking from questionable water resources and expensive suppliers. Poor residents in El Alto, Bolivia are drinking water from tanker trucks, which is MORE EXPENSIVE than the piped water wealthier residents are drinking from!


Many
countries, people believe that water should be delivered at a low cost, or for free. Do you agree with this? As cities grow and expand, it is much more difficult to raise money to maintain or expand current water systems.


"Privatization of water has resulted in drastic rate increases, significant job cuts, fewer environmental safeguards, dropped conservation initiatives and halted service to poor or remote communities".


The gist of it, privatizing water does not benefit anyone but the supplier. If water is privatized, there are less employees working in a company which results in a larger profit for them and in return the population receives less than par service, little to no water depending on the salary of a household, higher water bills and a loss of local control and accountability.


My thoughts: There should not be counties in this nation that are going without water. Can you imagine how horrible you would feel not being hydrated?! Imagine living in a country like Africa or somewhere in the Middle east where temperatures are not comfortable and not being able to have a refreshing glass of water to cool down... I have lived out in the country before, and the water we had gotten in our house then came from a well. Still, it was running water, through piper, and had been fortified with vitamins. I could not imagine having to fetch my own water, or drink water from Lake Superior without it being filtered and okay to drink. No one should have to drink from a sketchy water resource! Although I believe that water is difficult to maneuver from place to place, it should not be so expensive since it is something we, as humans, need to survive! I understand that it is expensive for water treatment plants to run and expand, but shouldn't the health and hydration of all people be a priority?! Personally, I think other countries are in more need than we are. To have 35 countries running low on water and seven more about to join those rankings by 2015 is devastating. What do you think we can do to help?!



Terms:
World Bank- committed to reaching the poor with a sanitary water supply

International Monetary Fund - Temporarily finances countries

24 comments:

  1. Erika-
    Great post! I had a harder time following this reading, but you made it easier to follow so thank you! I don't know what we could do? It's insane that 36 countries do not have a large enough water supply to meet the needs for industrial, municipal, and food production purposes. I take my fresh water supply for granted. I cannot imagine not having a consistent fresh water supply like these people have. Great post, keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good review Erika!
    wow...36 countries do not have the water supply needed to provide for everyone? This amazes me because Americans take water for granted every second of the day. I agree with you that water should not be as expensive..but if it wasnt im sure we would make up for it somewhere else as we do anyways. GOod job;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erika... dang great review of the reading totally blows my out of the water! This reading was very interesting I cannot imagine having to find our own water..or simply not having drinking water!I agree with Christen this was a hard reading, confusing and you have done a wonderful job making it readable! Thank you! and you pose a great question what can be done?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erika-

    Nice review.. After reading your review I had a better understanding of what the aritcle was about. You touched a topics and facts that were significant and shocking. I also think it would be very hard to live is a hotter country and not have access to water. I like how you put questions within the paragraphs, it keep me thinking. Reading your second last paragraph, it seems like this does nobody any good except the producers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erika-
    I can't believe there are 36 countries that do not have the water supply needed to provide for their population. In America we definitely abuse our water supply and waste so much of it. Imagine if there wasn't enough water for everyone here? Sad thought.. good job on your post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erika

    I think it is crazy that a riot broke out because of privatization of water in Cochabamba! I have never realized how much this matters (well I guess I'd never really hard of Privatizing water in the first place) and it's great to know how much it means to people now! I think that the thought of countries going without water is devastating. 36 countries without water is already too high of a number and I think that there has got to be something we can do!

    heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erika,
    Good Post, you made the reading more understandable for me, thanks. It's hard to believe that so many people are without water, being in MN it's just so hard to comprehend. In this time where so many things are so advanced it is a shame we can't find a way to get water to everyone that needs it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, Erika!
    I like how you raised the question of what it would be like to live in a hot climate and not have access to water. That would be awful, and I feel so spoiled having all the water I want to drink every day. I understand that providing clean water to people for free is unrealistic since treatment is necessary, but I think it is possible to have affordable water for everyone. I honestly don't know how I can personally help with this issue, but I do know that I have been motivated to consciously think about my water usage and try to be much less wasteful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is refreshing to hear about the privatization of water. I was not too clear on what that ment. Now I have an idea of what it means to "privatize" the water supply. It means that more people will be able to have access to water by making the water supply more easier to attain.

    Prices will go up for the consumer if companies can be allowed to sell their water out of tanker trucks. Giving a direct flow of water to the consumer's home will make it easier for the consumer to recieve the water, and be more efficient (cheaper) then selling water out of a tanker truck.

    I am glad to know the water I am recieving is enriched with vitamins and minerals. The water we recieve in Duluth, MN is very good to drink. It is sad to hear of entire countries not being able to supply their people with ample amount of water for everyone. To help these water lacking countries it would be good to ship them water via a massive pipeline, maybe that will help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Erika!
    This was a great review, a somewhat difficult read but after understanding all the concepts, I learned it is a huge issue! I could never ever imagine having water not coming from a pipe, I admire people who do! Thinking of solutions for this problem is hard to come up. I honestly don't know what we can do! Maybe we will learn more as we are watching the Thirst documentary! Good job!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Erika-
    Lets see here. Honestly, I am not too heated with this issue just yet. I can't quite conceptualize it and I am having a really hard time putting myself in the shoes of those who are experiencing such a severe lack of water. I definitely don't want to pay a lot more for water, and I definitely think that whatever needs to be done that helps the most people of all socioeconomic statuses should be done.
    In terms of helping other countries, you are right, we need to do what we can to make a difference. However, don't you think our water situation here isn't exactly one to model?? How do we educate others on proper water usage/conservation when we can't even figure it out ourselves?? --s

    ReplyDelete
  12. you're right, there shouldn't be countries anywhere going wihtout water. Water is life and one of the natural resources that should be available to everyone regardless if they can afford it or not. Can't believe what's happening in Cochabamba. I mean do these peopel have any mercy at all?

    ReplyDelete
  13. In reply to the question you posed, I think we need to formulate our own solution to the task of updating our water supply systems. If people come up with solutions rather than just protesting water privitizations, perhaps the government will see a viable option and avoid resorting to charging for water. You had a well-written and thorough review! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Erika~
    Just think on how much you use water everyday!! Not including the water you drink either...its insane! I do not know how those people are living without water!! Great post keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good review Erika. I cant believe that 36 countries dont have enough water supply and seven more will be in the same situation in 2015! Thats crazy to think about. I guess I never thought it was possible for us to run out of water. I cant imagine what I would do with out water!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great job Erika! I really liked how you had more than one picture. I think that it really made reading your post more interesting. Your last paragraph was just amazing. You completely nailed the issue. People should not be without water. A lot of these people are in really warm weather and don't have an adequate water supply. They must also transport the little water that they do have, really far distances. So in these cases water privatization may be the answer, but they really shouldn't have insane price increases. They cannot afford this, and its not like they want to be living without water, this is just where they are. I think that we all need to be more compassionate, and find ways to help these people, not make their lives more challenging. We have no idea what they are going through; we have plenty of water, for now....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really like your post Erika! Perfect summary! This whole Water Privitization thing is definitely a confusing one, but it is still something we need to start thinking about more often! Have a good one!

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  18. Erika, great post! I think this concept is just so hard for us to grasp because water is always readily available to us! I could not imagine some big company, really only looking for money, to be in control of the water. The fact that 36 countries do not have adequate amounts of water is disturbing and I'm not sure why it has taken so long to do anything about.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I guess I believe that if water is to privatized it should be set at a very low price. Just an outside the box thought, if water is priced its funny to think that there may start to be illegal selling of water. Nice post Erika!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really like your post, it has a very neat and organized feel to it. I agree with you that the well being of the people should come first and not making money for the companies.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can't believe that there are 36 countries that do not havea sufficient water supply. I like the questions you raised about how would we feel if we didn't have water all the time. I wouldn't know what to do with myself. And you're right the temps there are way way hotter as well! Good post!:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great post Erika. I agree, the issues associated with this topic are hard to swallow. The idea that some people in the world are in the types of environments where water is scarse, and even then it may not be safe to drink. We are so lucky here, and this issue has made me realize once again how we need to act in order to help those around us.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Erika,

    You pretty much said it all...the questions you ask are really good ones. I agree 100% with the other countries that think that water should be distributed at a low cost, or free because it IS a human need. I really like how in your "My Thoughts" section you really try to think outside the box and make people realize how horrible life would be without water, or clean water. Overall, your post was really affective, and I think you did a great job writing out your thoughts! ps. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey Erica:

    Great job summarizing this article, personally I thought it was kind of hard to follow but after reading your summary I understand it better now. I had no idea that there were water issues I do feel bad for the countries that don't have access to fresh drinking water. I really couldn't image life without fresh water. But I feel that even if I'm doing my part to help the environment, everyone around me isn't...Great post=) Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete